But it is not.
Quality improvement is, as a matter of fact, a fascinating field where you can gain insight and perspective on your own performance and opportunities to improve. In addition, this has been the reason behind the expansion and growth of all the industrial and technological movement in the past century.
From Taylor to Deming to the creation of the IHI, and now with well established quality health research institutions like Intermountain, Dartmouth, Harvard, etc. we now have formal training and education of a whole generation of health care scientist and providers. This has rapidly changed the culture, and all new trainees and students are intensely getting exposed to terminologies and practices that I barely had any during medical school and my first residency.
I had the honor an privilege to write this guest blog post at the SHM Blog "The Hospital Leader". I had the opportunity of having direct mentorship from Dr. Brad Flansbaum who helped me tremendously to put the ideas together to obtain the final published piece.
I hope you are able to read the guest post and more importantly that it yields into motivating curiosity to explore the fascinating world of quality improvement and patient safety. Remember, primum non nocere...